13 June 2012

Chaos and the Optimist

"Dear, where are the car keys?"
"Mum, where are my socks?"
"Mum, I can't find my homework!"
"Mum, I need a new __________ ASAP!"

*Insert any random item here that should not have needed replacing in the next six years.

The life of a busy wife and mother is never dull, 'nothing short of chaotic' is probably a more apt term to describe it. The last couple of weeks have passed in a blur. You name it and I've probably managed to cram it into my schedule somewhere. Everything from doctors appointments, dramas in the extended family, a cousin's wedding, the reading and writing programs I participate in at the school, school field trips, house renovations... The list goes on.

One thing I have learned throughout the health challenges I have faced in the last year, is that every moment is precious. I like to think of myself as an optimist. On a good day when things run according to plan, the optimist makes the most of this opportunity. She achieves as much as possible, and juggles her time between all the tasks that have been awaiting her keen hand. On a more challenging day, the optimist takes joy in the small things. She focuses on each of those precious moments one after the other and bides her time until things pick up. 

Though nobody can retain that mindset one hundred percent of the time, I strongly believe that positivity can have a huge impact on the success of each of those tiny moments. And unsurprisingly those moments merge to make a much bigger picture.

So what am I trying to say here? Everything seems like a challenge for me at the moment. To fit all the pieces of me together, and still be the wife, mother, writer and woman and still retain my sanity? A miracle, to say the least. However, I know that while difficult, it is possible. And so I hold to that. I retain that positivity I spoke of,  make myself the fifteenth coffee of the day, and live life one moment at a time. Life is a journey and I'm proud to be on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment