5 November 2013

Special Interview - Lauren Tisdale



Please welcome our guest Lauren Tisdale to the blog today to celebrate her new release!



1. Have you always had a passion for writing?

Well, that’s a yes and no. I used to /try/ to write song lyrics or even poetry and even some very short stories. Mostly poetry…but I didn’t think I was any good. I thought I rhymed too much. But then in 2011, I needed a hobby. Something I was good at. So I gave creative fan fiction writing a chance and it went from there really. At first, I sucked. But the more I read others work around me, I learned, I grew, I expanded.

At the insistence of my mother in law at first, who continuously told me I should write a book. Then my fellow writer friends who suggested the same, an idea was born. I’m going to write a book. And then…the journey began. I wrote a book. I’m writing several books, along with creative fan fiction writing on the side to keep my mind working. So I guess I can say no, I never had a PASSION for it, until now. And now, I cannot get enough.

2. Does what you read influence what you write and what are some of your favourite authors/books?

Sometimes yes. Reading other popular works has given me lots of insight to what I want to strive to be and what to avoid.

My favourite authors include but are not limited to: Sherrilyn Kenyon, Sara Shepard, Charlaine Harris, Torie James, Jas T. Ward, Stephanie Meyers, Lynda Glosorio.

Some of my favourite books were yes, the Twilight series, The Immortal Series, Sookie Stackhouse series, Dark Hunter series, Bits & Pieces, Timeless Night, and I have to admit…the 50 shades books are slightly okay…slightly. They aren’t horrible, but they are not fantastic. I can’t stop reading but some things annoy me.

3. What are your biggest inspirations?

My biggest inspirations are the people who support me. They continue to urge me to continue and write more. It was someone very wise who once told me, “Sherrilyn Kenyon was a small fish once, we start small but we grow. It’s a process.” And it reminded me that all these famous people started just where I did. My other inspirations are the facts that I just want my words to reach people, to touch them, make them laugh, captivate them with my characters, and ultimately inspire others.

4. Do you have a technique in how you choose characters and/or locational settings?

Not really a technique, but I think of the plot, I think of the time frame and setting. Then I search things that would fit it right. The research is usually the longest part. I know it’s fiction I’m creating, but I also want accuracy. Especially if I want it to feel real to the reader. So research, research, research. When it feels right, I go with it.

5. Do you listen to music while you are creating your masterpieces?

Always. Sometimes I need to be in a certain mood and listen to music accordingly, or sometimes I’ll just do random shuffle. Most of the time it’s country or classic country… that puts me in my zone.

6. What do you do to stay motivated and avoid writer’s block?

I write fan fiction or writing prompts from Writer’s Digest.

7. How has becoming a published author (independent or traditional) changed your perspective on life and is it everything you expected it to be? (If you are not published yet – what changes do you foresee?)


It has opened my eyes to a lot really. I didn’t know it was so…complex? And also rewarding. I mean you feel…so accomplished? Not that being published makes you accomplished but for me it feels like I succeeded…like I did it. The editing process has also taught me so much in regards to things I’d long forgotten since high school. It will make writing all my other books much easy since I know the RIGHT way it is to be done. So far, it’s everything I expected and more…it’s very exciting. I can’t wait for what’s next.

8. What are your biggest challenges as an author?

The biggest challenges is getting out there. At first, I mean you promote and market as much as you can but ultimately its word of mouth (I think) because if your book is any good, friends will tell friends, who will tell their family and friends, so on and so on. It’s like wildfire…if it’s great it will spread and then it’s like a domino effect. But it works the same way for bad. One person thinks it’s bad and spreads it that it’s horrible don’t waste your time, then it may put a damper on things.

But again, as much as it does matter for your readers to care and like your work, in the end it’s what you feel towards it. At least that’s what I keep telling myself…gotta look at the positive, right? LOL

9. Do you have any pets?

I do not care for pets in particular because with an almost-three year old running around, that’s enough. Oh and also a husband…I rather not clean after a pet, but yes…we have one. A bearded dragon named Stewie. Yeah…I know, right?

10. What hobbies do you have outside of reading and writing?

I like to sing, I used to think that was my talent, my passion. Hah, not exactly. I mean I’m decent, but nowhere near fantastic. So for fun I sing. I do enjoy fishing occasionally. I’d love to go camping sometimes. You know this question was the hardest, I actually had to think…wow, goes to show I don’t do much outside of reading and writing (hobby wise)

11. Where is the most exciting/memorable place you have been in the world?

Hmm, I’ve been to Tennessee, Kansas, Texas, Mississippi, and passed through Oklahoma. To me they were all fascinating. I love accents and find them interesting. They were all pretty memorable for different reasons. I’d LOVE to see Europe and Spain. I bet I’d have something to say then. LOL But, if I had to choose, my first and most memorable was Nashville, Tennessee when I was nine and we visited the Country Music capital. Grand Ole Opry, Loretta Lynn’s estate, and everything you could imagine related to Country Music. It’s the best memory I had of my mom too, she absolutely LOVED Country Music. So when I think back to those times, I remember the smile on her face that barely left on that vacation.

12. Tell us about your latest work in progress or most recent published work…

Well my most recent and first published work is called ‘Circle of Secrets’ and it is to be released in ebook version and for print version. It’s about two women whose family secrets intertwine and connect them in the most amazing way. (Can change later when synopsis is done) I’m very excited for everyone to read it, it was inspired by my mother who passed in 2007. It’s dedicated to her.

My other works in progress are ‘Crimson Horizon’, ‘Secret Desire’, and ‘Darkest Temptation’. (all working titles and may be changed).

--Crimson Horizon is going to be a historical romance set in the 17th century, Salem, MA at the time of the witch trials.

--Secret Desire is an erotica novel set in the present time, focused on two people who should not be in love or involved, but the insatiable desire that continues to merge them.

--Darkest Temptation is a paranormal/historical romance set in the times of the Gods and Valkyries. Warriors who died on the battlefield and taken to Valhalla. A Valkyrie and a warrior fall in love, but all is not as it seems.

So, there you have it…yes, I like to keep busy. LOL

You can find Lauren on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment