20 March 2014

Author Intervew - Brooke Page!


I'm happy to welcome Brooke Page to my blog today to answer some questions for us!

1. Have you always had a passion for writing?

Yes! I used to write all the time when I was younger. I had stack sand stacks of spiral notebooks, and sadly burned them all one day. I caught my then boyfriend (now husband) reading them and he constantly teased me and I got embarressed. Not that anyone would read silly hearts and flower stories about the backstreet boys, but they were the start of my writing journey! In high school I had to choose between a creative writing class and a graphic design class. I chose the graphic design class and ended up majoring in art education, then changed my mind again and continued to get a degree in interior design. But, I got a part time job as a self proclaimed graphic designer. After four years there and two babies later, I decided to stay at home with my kiddos. I also teach afterschool pottery, so I wouldn’t go to crazy in the house. But something was missing, and I couldn’t keep my mind focused. So with a 6 week old in a bouncer by my feet I started to write again. That’s when I created Tyler and Becca’s story, and I don’t think I will ever burn this one :o)

2. Does what you read influence what you write and what are some of your favourite authors/books?

I can’t read while I’m writing. I get mixed up with what I am writing and the other authors story. Some of my favorite authors are EL James, Jamie McGuire, Sylvia Day, they are all so amazing.

3. What are your biggest inspirations?

For Conklin’s Trilogy the city I live in is huge. The story is based in Grand Rapids, and it has been so fun describing where I live. My husband is a big inspiration as well.

4. Do you have a technique in how you choose characters and/or locational settings? 

Write what you know is what I go by. I like to write about places I have been, and if I haven’t I do TONS of research. I love describing places and people, right to the point of what they are wearing. As for characters- all of the ones I create remind me of someone I know. It helps make them feel more real.

5. Do you listen to music while you are creating your masterpieces?

Sometimes. Normally I hear my husband snoring in the background.

6. What do you do to stay motivated and avoid writer’s block?

I don’t get writers block to often, I think it’s because I literally write a paragraph at a time. My family comes first, so writing is put on the back burner a lot. Since I can’t write it down, it’s constantly in my mind just waiting to spill out on paper.

7. How has becoming a published author (independent or traditional) changed your perspective on life and is it everything you expected it to be? (If you are not published yet – what changes do you foresee?)

It’s crazy to have readers actually READ my story and tell me how they can relate or how much they enjoyed it. I never thought anyone would want to read the crazy stuff that goes on in my head!

8. What are your biggest challenges as an author?

Not taking things other people say personally. It’s hard when you can relate to a character and others talk about how much they can’t stand them.

9. Do you have any pets?

2 cats. I’m still trying to figure out why…

10. What hobbies do you have outside of reading and writing?

I love all art, I do pottery and paint. I kind of run, well my friends run so therefore I get dragged to races.

11. Where is the most exciting/memorable place you have been in the world?

Nothing is as memorable as a sunset on Lake Superior in Michigan’s UP.

12. Tell us about your latest work in progress or most recent published work

Currently I am working on Conklin’s Trilogy, a story about a girl who just recently got her masters and has dealt with way to much crap. She has trouble speaking up for herself, but really grows and becomes a strong woman. She meets her boss’s boss, Tyler Conklin at the Architecture firm she lands a job at. Their chemistry is crazy, but Tyler wants to keep her a secret from someone in his life. The final installment will be released this coming fall!

You can find Brooke on Facebook and Goodreads!

No comments:

Post a Comment