3 April 2014

Author Interview - Therone Shellman

I have Therone Shellman on my blog today!


1. Have you always had a passion for writing?

Ans. I developed my passion for writing somewhere around 15-16 years old. Before this my thing was drawing.

2. Does what you read influence what you write and what are some of your favourite authors/books?

Ans. Yes, of course what I read has influenced my writing greatly. I’ve always been into informational works and literary fiction. That is fiction which extends itself beyond just entertainment. In regards to fiction I haven’t read much lately, but Walter Mosley would be at the top of the list, then John Grisham after.

3. What are your biggest inspirations?

Ans. My greatest inspiration would be the Creator or Universe. Through my own life I’ve learned that living life itself is the best teacher, and you really need to look, listen and observe. In other words it’s best to pay attention.


4. Do you have a technique in how you choose characters and/or locational settings?

Ans. Well, I was born in Brooklyn, NY but raised out in Long Island (Suffolk County, NY). Since this is so I tend to choose settings in Long Island. But I’ve travelled to over twenty states so my future novels will have various locations/settings. The characters I choose have everything to do with the topic of the story and at this point I just strive to get into the mind state of them and their circumstance.

5. Do you listen to music while you are creating your masterpieces?

 Ans. No, I’m a silent thinker, I like quietness.


6. What do you do to stay motivated and avoid writer’s block?

Ans. I write and read, and do it quite often, and therefore I’ve learned to avoid writers block.


7. How has becoming a published author (independent or traditional) changed your perspective on life and is it everything you expected it to be? (If you are not published yet – what changes do you foresee?)

Ans. Writing and being a published author has changed my thinking drastically. Before being published I had never been out of New York State. After I released my first novel Love Don’t Live Here (revised edition) in 2005, six months later I went on an east coast tour book signing tour. In the process I met so many people from different walks of life, and I was able to see the so many various culture and environments which exist right here in the U.S. It was impossible to not be changed by it.

On the other hand, the business of writing is what you make of it, and it is every bit a business. It can be vile or it can be wonderful. I think I’ve felt a bit of both throughout my career. Right now I’m looking forward to the time ahead because, I’m in a very good mind state right now.


8. What are your biggest challenges as an author?

Ans. My biggest challenge and obstacle is myself, not others, not the industry. I need to work harder and smarter this is all.


9. Do you have any pets?


Ans. Nope, no pets. I’m out and about often. I like animals, but I don’t like them enough to live in a home with them. Well, maybe a cat, but definitely the dog(s) must be outside.


10. What hobbies do you have outside of reading and writing?

Ans. I have just started going back to the gym. I plan to very soon either take a kickboxing class or some form of martial arts. This summer I’m going to start visiting many of the history and arts museums because, I do like art. Right now I’ve completed my first screenplay titled One Good Man which is an adapt of a novel I’m releasing this year, and I’m working on the adaption of No Love Lost which is my sophomore award winning novel which released in 2007.


11. Where is the most exciting/memorable place you have been in the world?

Ans. I would say NYC is the most exciting place I’ve been this far and I’ve seen so much of it, yet there is so much more I need to see even though I’m a fellow New Yorker. It’s an amazing place which most New Yorkers will never get to know in-depth.


12. Tell us about your latest work in progress or most recent published work…

Ans. I have so many projects which are on deck right now. All My Tears: Poetry & Thoughts, One Good Man, and Thicker Than Water are all novels which I will be releasing this year. I’ve written the screenplay for One Good Man and am shopping it right now, I’m currently writing the screenplay for No Love Lost which is my sophomore novel. After I will write the screenplay of Survivor I Changed the Rules Part 1, which is my autobiography.

My most recent published work is Third Eye Awakening which is a spiritual/self help work. The book encompasses over twenty years of my observations and studies, it’s very practical and useful for anyone seeking to understand themselves and think more effectively. I have started a facebook page titled Third Eye Nation which I will begin promoting shortly. The page will be the beginnings of an organization I have been thinking about in many years.


My amazon author page is www.amazon.com/author/theroneshellman Here is where you can read chapter excerpts and purchase titles.

Thanks Johanna for the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment